In a hurry? Let us install it for you!
Skip this documentation with our 24h installation service! Whether it’s your own website or a client's, let us take care of it. The installation includes a full setup to make your website look just like our demo!
This is a Wordpress theme, so you must install Wordpress first. There are several ways to install WordPress but the easiest way would be to use one of the one-click autoinstallers available from you hosting company. Click here to learn how to install WordPress with the most popular autoinstallers, WordPress Toolkit, Cloudron, Fantastico, Installatron, and Softaculous.
Installing a Theme
There are two ways to install a WordPress Theme. We recommend you the first one:
1. Via WordPress Dashboard
To Install a Theme via WordPress Dashboard follow these steps:
- Go to your WordPress Admin Panel & Log in (
- Go to Appearance/Themes/Add New
- From top, Click on Upload Theme
- Choose the theme ZIP file you’ve downloaded & Click Install Now
- Click on Activate to active the theme
2. Via FTP
To install a WordPress Theme via FTP, follow these steps:
Use a FTP such as Filezilla.
- Open Filezilla
Enter the FTP account details provided by your web host in Host, Username & Password field
Host: Server hostname (ftp.mywebsite.com) Username: Username Password: Password
- Once connected, you’ll see two panels: left - shows the files on your computer & right - shows the files currently on the web server.
- Locate your root folder (Ex: public_html)
- Extract the theme file; drag & drop the unzipped theme folder to wp-content/themes directory.
- If you’re done uploading files, to disconnect just click the disconnect icon
- Activate the theme from Appearance/Themes
Users are prompted to automatically download, install and activate required (or recommended) plugins upon theme activation with a click of a button:
- Wow Elementor Addon Elements
- Contact Form 7
Navigate to Appearance/Theme Options so you can:
- Change Logo
- Add Top Info
- Add Footer Text
- Change the value of boxed layout width (we recommend 1070px)
- Change background image
- Change font size
- Change skin color (default is orange)
Page Builder Templates
Since v2.3.5, Biscaya is expanded with a live front end page builder. Each demo page is created with Biscaya’s elements specially designed for Elementor page builder. Elementor requires PHP 7 or greater. If your site is hosted on a server with an older PHP, ask your hosting provider to upgrade to the latest version of PHP. It will also help your website speed.
Biscaya has a set of predesigned templates for a quick start. What does this mean? This means you will be able to replicate any page (home, about, services etc.) with a click of a button. For this you must import the predesigned templates by following 2 simple steps:
- Navigate to Dashboard/Templates/Saved Templates
- Click Import Templates, and choose this file to Import Now.
Now you have the entire set of Biscaya prebuilt templates. You can check the out by creating a new page with Elementor and adding a template from “My Templates” list.
You can find an extended documentation for Elementor here.
That’s it for now. You will use the the imported templates when you actually create the pages. In example, view “Create Homepage” section below to see how it’s done.
Assign Home & Blog
Before actually building our website, it is recommended to assign the front end & posts page. So, if you haven’t done it already, please, follow the steps:
1. Create a new blank page, name it Home (or whatever you wish).
2. Create a new blank page, name it Blog (or whatever you like).
3. Go to settings/reading and assign Static pages:
front page -> to home
posts page -> to blog.
Save. That’s it!
As previously noted, Biscaya is now fully built with Elementor page builder. This means you will be able to replicate any page (including home) with the prebuilt templates that you’ve just imported. If you skipped the “Page Builder Templates” section above, please, read that first otherwise this will not make sense. So, Here is how you create Biscay’s homepage:
- If you haven’t created one, create a page, name it Home (or whatever you want), select “no title” template and click Edit with Elementor
- Select the Home template from templates library and insert then save. That’s it! Watch the video for a full presentation:
Quick presentation of how to change images and caption in Biscaya slider.
Create Other Pages
Each page can be replicated following the steps from “Create Homepage” section. All you need to do is to choose the appropriate predesigned template. In this quick video you will see an example for “About” page.
To create a portfolio page, we must have some portfolio items first. So, navigate to Dashboard/Masonry Folio and add a new item. Then:
- Add title, excerpt, set featured image.
- Open “Edit with Elementor” and insert “Theme Biscaya - Portfolio Item” template for a quick start.
We assume you’ve already added a few portfolio items as shown in the video above. Now create a blank page, name it Portfolio (or whatever you like), select the Masonry template from “Templates” and publish (yes, leave blank).
The contact form belongs to Contact Form 7 plugin. You are asked to install this plugin once you activate Biscaya, the process is automatic. Next, you can create your own contact forms via Dashboard/Contact/Contact Forms and either edit an existing one, either create a new one. Then you can easily add it anywhere via Page Builder. The contact page is actually a predesigned template that you can replicate with a click of a button just like the rest of the pages (make sure you watch the videos above).
We know there may be times when you need a different layout (such as “No title” - used in homepage), this is how you can select it (don’t forget to update the page):
Page Builder Docs
Since Biscaya is now using Elementor Page Builder, we also recommend you to go through its docs so you can use the theme at its maximum potential.
Remember, absolutely any widget can become a part of your page content, anywhere you wish. Any section you create can be saved and re-used in any page you wish. Any page you create can be saved and re-used anytime you wish. Also, don’t be afraid to ruin any of the prebuilt templates that Biscaya offers, the original copy always remains, so experiment as much as you want until you create your perfect page!
Create Child Theme
If you’d rather create it manually, please, read our detailed article: “Protect Your WordPress Customizations with a Child Theme”.
The theme is translatable. All you have to do is to install a specific plugin so you can easily translate the theme in your own language. We recommend you Loco Translate plugin.
The theme has Font Awesome integrated. This means you can use any icon from this list anywehere in your site with a simple code.
You can get free images for your website at Unsplash.com.
This documentation is always evolving. If you have questions, please, submit a ticket here.